We are fastly approaching the end of 2012. Have you asked yourself how will you meet the New Year? Have you asked yourself what have you achieved in 2012? What changes have you made in your life since the beginning of the year.
How about if you make 2013 the best year yet for you? Why wait for January 1, 2013 to start thinking about what you really want from next year. You can start asking yourself now, what is it you really want to achieve and how are you going to achieve it?
You can start putting things in place from now so that when the clock strikes 12 midnight on 31st December you are ready, feel energised, clear and equipped. You feel positive and feel that you could conquer the world.
Often we go through the years like this, in January, we feel pumped up, February we are still feeling pumped up but maybe not as much as in January. March, this is where we may we start to wane and the dreams and goals may not be as strong in our minds as they were a few months prior. As the months progress it’s not unusual to forget the things that we wanted to achieve that year. And by September or October we may have even completely forgotten what our New Year’s Resolutions were.
And that’s because although we had a thought about what we wanted to achieve that year we didn’t actually put in place the mechanisms for us to achieve it.
So you may have a dream to fix your finances, lose the weight, stop smoking, get fit and healthy, improve you relationships and so forth. But without the right tools in place to support these as we go through our day to day, we slip into the behaviour practices that we find comfortable. And comfortable is not the place where we are motivated to change.
Wouldn’t it be great if we looked back at the past 10 months and had achieved most of what we set out to achieved. I’m telling you, I have seen people and l have even experienced it myself in the past, where the same New Year’s Resolutions were churned out year after year.
You may see people who seem to have their life in order and everything in place and you say to yourself “Why can’t I have that!” Or “They are lucky to have that.” But most people do not achieve what they want in life through luck alone. Remember, luck is no more than preparation meeting opportunity. And that’s the same in our lives, we need to be prepared so that when the opportunities come along, we are ready. It is also the same with achieving our goals and dreams. New Year’s Resolutions are nothing more than our ‘intent’ to be prepared. But without the correct and sustained action we will achieve nothing.
Change may appear daunting but it’s not that difficult. With a few easy and simple steps you can start living the life you desire. How would that make you feel? Imagine how your life could be better if you had the right tools to support your resolutions and your desire to change.
It saddens me to see women who are in their 40’s 50’s 60’s and beyond who have lost the desire for better things in their lives. Is that you? If so, don’t give up on your dreams just because you have not achieved them so far.
To help you here are my 7 quick steps to help you prepare for 2013.
1) Be clear and specific – It is important for you to be clear about what you want, when you want it and how you are going to get it.
2) Write it down – There is a saying “The pen never lies.” Once you have your set intentions write them down and read them regularly. This will help to keep to you motivated.
3) Schedule time – It’s easier to say rather than to do. This is one of the big mistakes that are made around goal setting, not setting the time to actually get it done.
4) Speak it – Sharing your goals with your partner or friend is a great way to get support along the way. If that does not appeal to you enlist the support of a Coach or Mentor.
5) Make it Fun – Find ways to incorporate fun into your goal. The more fun it is, the more you will want to do it.
6) Decide how you will celebrate your milestones – Ensure that you celebrate your successes along the way. Be your own cheerleader!
7) Go for it! – The key to resolutions and goal setting is once you start don’t give up. Even if you fall off the wagon, dust yourself off and keep going.
Keep a look out for more exciting tips and tools. Remember to sign up at http://www.brightnowcoaching.com to join the growing community and get tips and tools straight into your inbox.
Until next time
Award winning/Life Coach/Author/Blogger/Speaker/Radio Presenter
Sonia supports women to get unstuck, jumpstart their lives and get their sassy back so that they can live the life of their desires.
Passionate about supporting women to live their best lives, Sonia’s is often invited to speak and contribute on a number of radio shows, speaking platforms and articles.
A housing professional, wife, mother of 4 and grandmother, Sonia believes that sometimes the simplest mind-set and lifestyle changes have the biggest impact on living a balanced and happy life.
Sonia offers life coaching tools, wellbeing tips and inspiration on her lifestyle blog.